The Drug Rehabilitation Centre in Mumbai and the Drug Rehabilitation Centre in India will talk about the perks of eating vegetarian food, and how now people are again coming back to the notion of being vegetarian. The Drug Rehabilitation Centre in Mumbai states that, Vegetarianism means to include fruits and vegetables in your diet. The diet does not include any meat. There are many benefits of consuming vegetables. We can also get all the nutrients by only consuming it.
There are many types of vegetarians. Some consume eggs, fish and dairy products. Some people do not consume dairy products at all. And some stick with only vegetables.
There are many things that lead a person to become a vegetarian.
History of vegetarianism
According to different sources, people who only eat vegetarian food in India dates back from 7 BCE in the region where Lord Mahavira and Buddha lived. They encouraged people to take only vegetables and food. They told people to love all living beings and not to kill them. So, common masses obeyed their words and started taking only fruits and vegetables.
In ancient Greece around 6th century B.C. people practised vegetarianism. The famous Greek teacher Pythagoras also practised vegetarianism. At that time a religious movement Orphics also promoted and practised vegetarianism.
At one point the movement of vegetarianism lost its popularity and people started to eat non-vegetarian food. But it again became popular in the 19-20 century and spread worldwide.
Types of vegetarianism diets-
There are many types of vegetarian foods. Like:
- Macrobiotic diets consist mostly of whole grains and beans.
- Lacto vegetarianism includes dairy products but not eggs.
- Ovo vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy products.
- Ovo-lacto vegetarianism, also called lacto-ovo vegetarianism, includes animal products such as eggs, milk, and honey.
- Sattvic diet also known as yogic diet, a plant-based diet which may also include dairy and honey, but excludes eggs, red lentils, durian, mushrooms, alliums, blue cheeses, fermented foods or sauces, and alcoholic drinks. Coffee, black or green tea, chocolate, nutmeg, and any other type of stimulant (including excessively pungent spices) are sometimes excluded, as well.
- Veganism excludes all animal flesh and by-products, such as milk, honey and eggs, as well as items refined or manufactured through any such product, such as animal-tested baking soda or white sugar refined with bone char.
- Raw veganism includes only fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. Food must not be heated above (48 °C) to be considered "raw". Usually, raw vegan food is only ever "cooked" with a food dehydrator at low temperatures.
These are some of the main vegetarian diets there are also other types of diets such as Buddhist vegetarianism, Fruitarianism which only takes fruit and Mahavira vegetarianism.
Some vegetarians also include meat in their diet while some people do not consume animal products at all. Those who eat meat call themselves semi-vegetarians.
There can be many other types of vegetarian diets. The vegetarian society contests the semi-vegetarians as they believe that vegetarIans should not eat any type of animal flesh.
Benefits if vegetarianism-
There are many benefits of vegetarianism. Taking in the right and regular amount of vegetarian food reduces the risk of cancer of some kinds, heart diseases, type-2 diabetes and obesity. It helps to reduce weight.
Vegetarians have their cholesterol level controllers have low BMI compared to those who are non-vegetarians.
Eating an adequate amount of vegetarian foods helps us to keep healthy and fit in all stages of life. Whether it is infancy, old age, pregnancy, adolescence and for athletes.